
I received a phone call from the Red Cross a few weeks ago telling me I was eligible to donate blood again. (You have to wait 56 days between donations.) So while I was scheduling my appointment to donate the operator told me I was eligible to receive my 1 gallon pin.
I thought that was cool I have donated 0ne gallons worth of blood, but the more I thought about it the more morbid it became to me. I mean a gallon is a lot! I looked at our two half gallon milk jugs and just thought about both being filled with blood. So I kind of researched it 8 pints equals one gallon and 3.78 liters equals one gallon. The more I thought about it the sicker and grosser it became to me until I realized I was looking at this in the wrong way.
I had to stop and gather my thoughts and looked at this in a new light. I started to think about it in terms of how much service I had rendered to the community. How many potential lives had I saved? (I have know idea.) How many people have I served that I never knew or would not know in this lifetime? (I may be struck by lighting here but I thought of temple work.) Then the more I thought about it the cooler it became. I just felt good to be helping society in a very smaller manner!
So I guess I have learned or had reconfirmed what all of you already know. Giving back makes you feel good.
No comments:
Post a Comment