Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Hero


Yesterday was a sad day for me. Curt Schilling announced his retirement from major league baseball. I have three great memories of Curt. Here they are in reverse favorite order. (Heather's Letterman with U2 is still stuck in my head.)

Number 3. 2001 World Series against the new york yankees. Curt was pitching for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Schilling would say the pitch he was going to throw before throwing it, and he was still striking out the player at bat. It was incredible. Can you imagine being at bat and knowing what pitch was coming and not being able to hit it? It was an amazing performance.

Number 2. Game six of the 2004 American League Championship Series against the new york yankees. It was the bloody sock game! Curt previously injured himself in the Wild Card Game against the Anaheim Angels, and he was hurt bad. He caused more damage to his tendon by having it sutured down so he could pitch. He lost game one to the aforementioned team. Needless to say, in game six he pitched seven innings and only allowed four hits. I can't fathom pitching hurt and knowing if I mess up my team is eliminated from the post season.

Number 1. 2007 World Series game two at Fenway Park against the Colorado Rockies. This is my favorite memory of Curt Schilling. Curt pitches 5 and one third innings. As he is walking off the diamond the crowd is standing and going nuts! He receives a standing ovation like a king! He stopped tipped his hat, said thank you a couple of times and tears formed in his eyes.

What made this memory great was that I was with my father-in-law watching the game. He asked me why everyone was applauding him. I said, "It's Curt's final year in his contract and he might not be back next year." (So happens that was the last time he pitched.) Then we discussed Curt. He asked me what I thought about Curt.

I said "He is great, but what I think has made him great is how he has reinvented himself." I explained that Curt has always had brute strength so he could just over power anyone with his pitches, but as he has gotten older he has had to change his pitching because his power is not there like it use to be. Now he throws all types of pitches, he keeps track of every pitch he throws, and monitors every hitter's tendency and writes every at bat he has had against each hitter. (He writes all this stuff down in a spiral notebook between innings.) I guess with age comes wisdom.

So Curt, I will miss you and count myself lucky to have seen you pitch. Thanks for the memories!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Another legend in the books. He was sure fun to watch.