Well I have already finished reading it in English (part one of my two part goal is fulfilled) and I have just started on Spanish (I think this is going to be much harder because I haven't read that book in Spanish since I served my mission in Spain. Needless to say I have a Spanish to English dictionary by my side. It is funny to see words I once knew slowly coming back to me.) While reading this volume of scripture I was blessed in many ways. One way really jumps out at me.
It is while I was reading I was lucky enough to read quite a bit in one sitting.(In other words it was quite slow so I read a lot.) I read all of Abinadi sermon to King Noah in his courts in one sitting, I read Samuel the Lamanite message on the city wall to the Nephities in one sitting, and I also read Alma's counsel to each of his sons in one sitting. It is quite a bit of reading but I have never experienced the book in that way. It was interesting to read the sermons from the beginning to the end!
Many times while reading I simply had to stop and compose myself. One time in particular I remember stopping and thinking, this book is true! This really happened and this book was written for me! As these simple thoughts enter into my mind the Spirit bore witness to me once again these things are true.
One of the young men gave the lesson this past Sunday and this quote really touched me it is by the Prophet Joseph Smith.“He that can mark the power of Omnipotence, inscribed upon the heavens, can also see God’s handwriting in the sacred volume: and he who reads it oftenest will like it best, and he who is acquainted with it, will know the hand wherever he can see it” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1976], p. 56).
I really like this part of the quote best. "He who reads it oftenest will like it best, and he who is acquainted with it, will know the hand wherever he can see it.” I know the more I read the scriptures the better I like them. I have been privilege to read all the standard works and I enjoy them immensely. It is easier for me to see God's hand in all things when I read the scriptures. I feel very blessed to have the scriptures in my life. I hope to use them constantly and continually throughout my life.
Thanks for the read M
1 comment:
Thanks Michael. Glad you have accomplished the first half of your goal. I love you!
Post a Comment