Sunday, January 13, 2013

It's been a long time

Well, it has been a very very long time since my last post. I guess I got busy with life, but the funny thing is with being so busy with life I really can't show anything for it. (Maybe that is why we need to take time for ourselves.)

On a bright note I did complete the second part of my goal. I was able to read the Book of Mormon again to make it twice in a year. I hope that I have finally formed the habit to read from that book continually and constantly in my life. (Something inside me say I still need to keep reading. I guess I better listen and obey. Maybe the habit has not been formed yet or He has other things in store for me.)

This has been an interesting year thus far. My Irish were defeated very soundly and my grandpa pasted away.

Heather posted that the Irish are my second favorite team. That made me think who is my favorite? I love the Irish because of the history of the program, win one for the "gipper" George Gipp, the four horseman, Harry Stuhldreher, Don Miller, Jim Crowley, and Elmer Layden, coaches Knute Rockne, Frank Leahy, Ara Parseghian, Lou Holtz, players like Paul Hornung, the "Rocket Ismail" Raghib Ismail, and last but certainly not least "Rudy" Rudy Ruetiger.

I love the culture and lore "Play Like a Champion Today" sign in the locker room. (Did you know they take another "Play Like a Champion Today" sign on the road for road games?) I loved the Jeweled Shillelagh trophy. (That's like the Beehive Boot and the Oquirrh Bucket in Utah.) Who ever wins the game against USC receives the Shillelagh. I love watching on NBC (poor man TV) and seeing touchdown Jesus in the background, the Golden Dome on campus, and the students going nuts in the student section.

With the loss and the death of my grandpa this year has started differently than past years. You can't have a family member die and not think about life and its purposes. You can't not think about that person and yourself. Growing up my dad always told me that I reminded him of "Big Dil" usually when that was told to me it was not a compliment. It was not a compliment because I was stubborn, demanding, self deprecating, and moody just like Big Dil. I was frugal/cheap to a fault just like Big Dil.(In some of these aspects I still am.) I have been reflecting on that quite a bit lately. 

During the pasting of Big Dil I have heard a lot of stories. After hearing some of these stories I think my dad was right by telling me I was just like Big Dil.

It was so good to hear from family members about his life and stories I never knew, but what really touched me most was to hear from his Bishop and Stake President. His bishop told two experiences he had with Big Dil. One during tithing settlement and the other when he was my grandpa's High Priest group leader.

In tithing settlement my grandpa said, "Bishop, I am so sorry I don't get up and bear my testimony during testimony meeting, but Bishop if I did that I would lose all control of my emotions." He was bigger than life and softer than a teddy bear but no one really knew it. The other story that he shared was about visiting Big Dil as his High Priest group leader looking at him as compared him to his pictures from youth. Then realizing that he didn't need to worry about him. Big Dil would come to all his priesthood meetings and participate when he had legitimate excuses to not attend. As High Priest group leader he thought only if the others could be like Big Dil.

His Stake President said, "Strasser's are built differently than an other people I know. There bigger than normal and a lot tougher, rougher around the edges. (when I heard that I smiled.) but if I was to build a temple I would use a Strasser for it's corner stone or foundation." then he added, "Big Dil is the corner stone and Norma is the foundation for the temple I see here in front of me in the first couple of rows." He also talk about my grandpa's heart as his cardiologist. He said, "it was literally bigger than normal and it caused him issues, at times it was hard to breathe, it pressed tightly against his side and ribs." Then he stated "Big Dil had a big heart in all aspects of the word."

It has been very emotional for me the last couple of days. I loved my grandpa and I miss him. I feel I miss his spirit the most. I hope to be as faithful and hard working as he was.  

 

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I bet Big Dil is smiling down on you more than you know. I think we'll be surprised when this life is over to see how close some of our loved ones always were. You are a good tribute for the Strasser name, even if you are ruining the world! :)