Friday, February 26, 2010

FDIC insures to the penny!!!


As you all know Barnes Bank officially closed it's doors a couple of weeks ago. (Sorry, Jenny) We had a few accounts there and closed them days before the deadline. So today I was very surprised to receive a phone call from my wife at work. She informed me that we received a check from the FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation).

I thought what in the world? Did we have another CD (Certificate of Deposit) that we some how forgot about? Then Heather told me to guess the amount of the check we received. I had no clue so she told me $0.02!! That's right two cents!!  


 



Then I thought of those MasterCard commercials with the catch phrase "Priceless."
So here is my FDIC commercial parody:

One Sheet of Paper: $0.03.(I contacted Michael Scott at Dunder Mifflin for the price so I don't know how accurate it really is, but he assured me that is the standard rate.)

One Envelope: $0.05. (I also received that figure from Michael Scott.)

One Stamp: $0.44.

Your government's inefficiency: PRICELESS!!!

Then I thought about cashing the check at the bank. Can you imagine walking into a branch and actually cashing the check?

I can see it now. The teller smiles and says, "How can I help you today?"

"I would you like to cash this check."

"Sir, could you please endorsed it and put your account number on  the back."

" I already did that for you."

"Sir, can I please have some I.D. You know it is to protect you and your account."

"Well, thank you I appreciate that!"

"Now how would you like it?"

"Well I'm not trying to be difficult but I would like two wheat cents!"

"Wheat cents, really, may I ask why?'


"Well you see I collect coins and I would like some Wheat cents for my collection."

Note: We didn't figure in the real cost of this check! The governments times, peoples salary, or the different departments this check went through before arriving. Just think transport alone!    

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Mike just dont spend it all in one place! lol

Jenny said...

Awesome! I love it. I must say though, just deposit it okay? Don't cash it! Because when I was a teller, I had one customer who would come in with a billion checks (each one like 5 or 10 cents) and they were such a pain to cash!!!