Well for the few of you that don't know I have started collecting coins. (That is a lot of the reason I went three months without posting. I spent all my time on eBay filling my collections.) I guess that is what happens to people if they work around money. I personally got bored of it so I started collecting. It has made work way more interesting and fun.
It started with my dad and uncle telling me to "buy anything that looks different". I asked them what is different and they answered you will see. I worked and worked and really found nothing. So I asked my dad once again what's different? He went into the other room and came out with wheat pennies, silver dimes, silver quarters, and buffalo nickels. He said any time you see one of these coins or anything that looks out of place just buy it.
So off to work I went/go looking for anything that is different. As I go to work everyday I take a pocket full of coins for anything that looks different and when I find it I just buy it. Well over time some coins have started to pile up, and my lovely wife gave me for my birthday a dime book to place my coins in. Needless to say I have been obsessed with completing the collection ever since.
I started with dimes because I always find silver ones and it's easy to find the older dated dimes in everyday rolls. Well here comes the reason for my title of this particular post. I have three dimes left to completed my Mercury Dime collection, and yes, you guessed it they are going to cost me a pretty penny! (pun intended) The 1921 & 1921 D run about $45.00 to $100.00 each (only 1 million or so were made) and the hallowed 1916 D runs $500.00 to $2000.00. (only 200 thousand of those were made, compare that to 1 billion that are currently made each year for todays dimes) So if anyone wants to make a contribution to my dime collecting fund they are more than welcomed. I will post it on the side my page so everyone can see how much progress I have made to finishing the collection.
thanks for reading M
2 comments:
I think your coin collecting is a great hobby. And I love seeing Uncle Stan and your dad get so excited about "silver"!
Man, I wish I would've kept some of the silver I got when I was working at the bank. I need to come over sometime and check out your collection. Jenny and I were thinking maybe we would contribute some money to your fund. Heck, if John McCain can charge $70,000 a plate to fund his lame (and fruitless) campaign, why can't we donate some money to coin conservation?
Post a Comment