Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Outsourcing Babysitters

Note: Before I begin Cameron will have to check this blog entry to see if it is "sound economic policy". (Check comments to see if he approves this theory.)

I arranged a special mothers day present for Heather. I planned an evening out. We went to the temple and dinner last Friday evening. This was our first time leaving James with a baby sitter. I mean baby sitter in the sense of 1. picking her up from her home, 2. giving her a list of numbers in case of emergency and options of what James likes to do and play with, and 3. paying her for her services.

Right before leaving we told our wonderful baby sitter she could not call us on the phone while we were in the temple. We would contact her after we were done. After leaving the temple on our way to dinner we had two messages. First message: "Hi, guys I was just wondering where the bubbles were?" Second message: "Michael (with panic in her voice and James crying in the background) your baby is crying! Please! Please! Your baby is crying!"

Heather called her back to see if everything was alright. Everything was, but James was not asleep. (we usually put him down between 7 and 8) Heather asks, "Is he asleep?" No, he's not. "Well are you in the room with him?" Yes! Heather politely suggests that she leave the room.
Her response is "What if he cries again?"
"If he cries for fifteen minutes straight just call us and we will come home."
We did not receive a call and had an excellent dinner together.

Upon return home James was wide awake. His room looked like a tornado hit it. The changing table padding was on the floor. James was wearing some different pajamas than we put out for him. (a onesie) By his crib were milk and gold fish for him to snack on. It was just crazy what we went home to.

That night when I was laying in bed with Heather I said, "We need to out source baby sitting." She said "What do you mean?"
I said "Not outsourcing literally, but the concept of it. Take for example our babysitter. She represents America. She under performs her duties, charges us more than the service rendered, is definitely not as knowledgeable on the subject as others. We are left with a feeling of insecurity when she is in charge. Now take for example your mom, anyone of your friends, Jen, Joc, and to the extreme even anyone in my family. They represent India. They know their duties and perform them very well and at a very reasonable price. Some of them have more knowledge on the subject than we do, and security of James, our peace of mind is not even an issue. We should outsource our baby sitting!!!"
Heather started laughing and just rolled over and went to sleep. Oh how I Love my wife!!!!

5 comments:

terrah said...

Let us come over to watch James! Cora would have a ball!

Cam said...

Here is my take. Usually the tradeoff for outsourcing is lower cost for a decrease in service quality. However, as India and China emerge as outsourcing centers, most companies figure the difference in service/quality is unnoticeable. As for me, I'm in favor of it. I think that it's usually a more efficient allocation of resources. Eventually, though, the market will adjust and those who have lost their jobs to outsourcing will have new jobs created for them. Also, I'm a fan of outsourcing your babysitting. Jenny and I love babysitting James, as long as Heather agrees to not set up a hidden camera to capture my dancing...

Heather said...

I am still laughing... But I still find that video a bit disturbing.

Turpin Times said...

Loved the post. Yes, I agree, the video is a bit disturbing.

Emily said...

Michael we love the way you think! My Mom, Cami, and I all are laughing!!!