Monday, December 31, 2007

My 2007 Top Ten List

It seems at the end of the year every year people published top ten lists. (ten best books of 2007, ten best movies, ten biggest news stories etc.) Here is my top ten list for 2007.

10. Reading: This year I was lucky enough to read a lot. I really enjoy reading! Here are some books I enjoyed this year: To Kill A Mockingbird, Farewell to Arms, Tortilla Flat, Andrew Jackson: His Life and Times, 1984, The World is Flat, Samuel Adams: Father of the American Revolution, and many others. I also got to read all the Kiplinger's magazines for the year (thanks Turpin's, that was a marvelous gift) along with all the Ensigns.

9. Thursday Nights: My guilty pleasure/secret passion is watching 30 Rock and The Office on Thursday nights. Every time I watch the Office I can't help think about my job and all my co-workers. It is a great show and a great release for me.

8. PTC Theatre: I love going to the theatre! When I go I really enjoy trying to think what the playwright wants to communicate with us, the audience. Is he trying to change society through action? Is he sharing aspects of his/her life with us? Most good theatre gets me thinking for a couple of days after the play is over. I drive Heather nuts on the ride home asking her opinion of what she thought and why. Another plus is that it is a rare night out with my wife.

7. Blessing James: Blessing James was quite a treat. It was great to have family and friends on hand for his special day. I was really nervous to do it and thought about what I should say for a couple weeks before the big day. I personally think I over thought it. Well with experience grows wisdom. If there is a next time I'm sure it will be better.

6. Green Bay Packers Road Trip: This year I was very fortunate to attend a Green Bay Packers game with my Dad, brother, and brother and sister in-law. We saw Brett Favre tie the all time touchdown record. It was great to watch my dad and my brother. (You would have thought they died and were in heaven) My dad turned 12 before my eyes when Paul Hornung (his favorite player growing up) was on hand signing autographs. Needless to say my dad's Hornung jersey and book were signed. Rich was like a little kid.

5. Chicago Cubs: Before the Green Bay game we went to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field. We saw the Cubs play the Pirates in a slug fest. The park was like stepping back in time. It was really neat. For me this was amazing for various reasons: one it is the park where Babe Ruth pointed to the place where he was going to hit his home run before he hit it (his famous calling the shot) and two this has been on my list of things to do/see before I die. Crossing it off my list was priceless. Go Cubs!!

4. Feeding James: The first time I fed James was a feeling I have never experienced before in life. It truly was one of the tender mercies the Lord gives us. I wish I could communicate what I felt.

3. Red Sox World Series Champions: If I have to write more you probably don't know me too well. I LOVE THE RED SOX!!!

2. Heather's B-Day:
Heather's b-day was extra special for me this year because it was the first time I had Heather to myself since James was born. (Thank you Mindi for taking him) For me the time was over due and unfortunately it when by way too fast. I treasure it as one of the best memories I have ever had with her.

1. The Birth of James: Never has something changed me or affected me so much as this. I am Dad and it's crazy. Not only am I responsible for raising and teaching this child but I have never had so much love for something. Looking at him I have seen perfection and cleanliness unlike that in any other person I have associated with. He truly is clean in a righteous sense of the word. He has taught me and given me countless times to improve myself and serve selflessly. (Warning children are not for the weak or lazy!!) (P.S. Beware here's my soap box, know, be a 100% sure that you want them before having them).