My wife tagged me to write seven things about myself so here it goes. Wish me luck I will need it.
1. I love history! I know I am a nerd but I love studying history. In college I received a Spanish degree, and my emphasis was on Medieval Literature/Spanish History. (They kind of go hand in hand.) To me, it doesn't matter what kind of history as long as it's history. Civics, things about presidents, candidates, modern leaders (Sorry no President Bush stuff) etc. Art history, Van Gogh, golden ratio, architecture etc. U.S. history, American revolution, civil war, depression etc. European history, Columbus's expeditions, Basque history etc. I like mainly stuff about Spain, but I am trying to branch out. Old baseball players, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, the Red Sox Curse etc. (If you needed gift ideas, here they are.) I read tons of biographies to give me my history fix. You know the saying, "Those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it."
2. I deal with $50,000 to $100,000 a day. Yes, you know I'm a Costco vault clerk. I enjoy it, but it's weird because money has no value to me while I deal with it. It's just paper! I basically I get excited to see how old it is, if any of the coins are silver, or if I can find any errors printed on the notes. Since working with money, I have found several pieces of history, Indian head pennies, silver dimes, and an 1880's nickel. That's what I enjoy about my job.
3. I cheer for the Under Dog! Why do you think I love the Red Sox and the Utes so much? Nine times out of ten I root for the under dog. What's more American than a small town team beating up on the big boys or the establishment. Just look at the Green Bay Packers: a small market team that has dominated! The Red Sox are awesome, but their is no expectations for them. The Yankees will always be the team sort to speak. I think in reality I see myself as the under dog striving towards excellence and sometimes you get glimpses of it to keep you striving for it. (WARNING: Now the weird male point of view) You think if an okay team can do it and achieve excellence so can I! SO GO SOX & UTES!!!
4. I volunteer. I believe to make your community better you need to be proactive and so I volunteer. For the last seven years I have been an election judge. (For all you who don't know what or who that is, it's the people that sit at the table at the voting location all day. They each have a specific assignment for the election. ) I have participated in every election both presidential, state, county, and city. I donate blood every 2 months. That's 6 times a year and the Red Cross estimates that has helped save 3 lives per donation or 18 lives a year. (I encourage you to do that--it's kind of neat.) I have also been a reading mentor before, but I just didn't have the patience for doing it consistently. When you go to mentor, and the kid your mentoring says, "Don't you ever miss a turn!" You kind of realize this really isn't working.
5. If I had it to do all over again I would be a stock broker or a financial adviser/planner. I love finding a mutual fund or stock, reading and studying about it then watching it perform. Plus, I love it when interest works for you. Nothing is better than making money with your money without doing a thing.
6. One of my personal heroes is Benjamin Franklin. When we were thinking about names for James, I wanted Ben or Benjamin just because of Franklin. Franklin was ahead of his time. If he was alive now he probably would have an Ipod or Iphone, investing in ETF's, and be a big time blogger. If it wasn't for him America would not be here today!
7. I love being a Dad/Family man. James is great! We have so much fun together. It is neat to watch his little inquisitive mind try to take everything in. I love that he gives me so many opportunities to serve. My wife Heather is the greatest woman alive. I honestly don't know where I would be today without her.
I now tag Cameron.
1 comment:
Crap! Well, I'll try and get that done...
Post a Comment