Monday, October 22, 2007

Another Day at the Office

I thought I would share with you a quick story from a day I had at work. Costco is offering flu shots for the public and because I'm a Costco employee I receive mine for free. The day came for the shot, and while I was filling out my paperwork an older lady with her daughter came up to me and asked, "Do you work here?"
I replied "Yes, I do and how can I help you?"
She responded "Can you hold my hand while I receive my flu shot?"
"Sure, you bet, I would love to." (In my mind I was thinking "Is this lady crazy! Grow up and take the shot like a woman, aren't you liberated yet?")
Meanwhile, when it's her time to go, I stood next to her thinking all she needs is moral support. I was not going to have to hold this hand. Oh, no. She grabs a hold of my hand like we're jumping off a building. When the nurse put the shot in her arm, she squeezed my hand with her vice-like grip and stomped on my toes with her foot. I was thinking "are you crapping me lady, how did you give birth, seriously?? Why am I the stupid one holding your hand and not your daughter?!"
And last but not least, "why am I doing this? You can't pay me enough!"
After all is said and done this lady proceeds to eye the nurse like she is going to beat the living daylights out of her. I have never seen any old woman give a crusty like this one Then she walked off. NO THANK YOU NO NOTHING.
The nurse turned to me and said, "Sir it's your turn now, but could you tell me if this really hurts? Be honest with me. I am going to give it to you just like I gave it to that lady. I really want to know if hurt that lady that bad."
So a nurse has seen and felt my pain. She gave me a shot and asked, "How was it?"
"Ma'am it was fine I couldn't feel a thing."
Two morals of the story:
1. As my dad would say, " Life's tough than you die" (edited version)
2. When you go to school or talk to the career guidance counselor take it seriously so you really do something you love.

2 comments:

Cam said...

That story is classic!

Jenny said...

That is hilarious! What a crazy lady! I thought she would have been joking when she asked if she could hold your hand. Wow.