Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Seinfield Moment

Heather, James, and I were driving to my parents house last night and I had a true Seinfield moment.
Here's the moment: We're driving, and I look at the car in front of me and it has a magnet ribbon on the back of it. I'm thinking it's going to say, "Support Our Troops." The magnet has University of Utah's headdress on it and says Utes. (By no means am I making fun of the Utes here). I look at Heather and say, "What's up with that? I'm starting to think the ribbon thing is just a bit over done."
(By no means any I making fun of these causes just the ribbons).
We have the pink ribbon for breast cancer, the red ribbon for AIDS, the yellow ribbon for support our troops and peace, a ribbon with jig saw puzzle pieces on it to form the ribbon for autism, a ribbon the color of the flag of the United States for united we stand, a green ribbon to conserve energy and go green, a white ribbon for gender violence, and a blue ribbon to release hostages the Basques terrorists (ETA) have captured, etc....
What's up with this? Is there no other symbol we can use for a cause? How about a star, heart, hands clasped, clouds, and, let's no forget, shooting stars.
Another thing I don't get is the material way we have to use a ribbon. Is ribbon cheap?!! Why not a patch, sticker, bracelet ( that's a bit over used but not as bad as the ribbon)? Better yet you could make jewelry using beads for your cause.
Just think Hollywood switches causes so often they could use earrings, rings, necklaces, and bracelets all in the color they want to support for that event. It would never go out of style.
By the way I was shopping today at Dick's and at the check out there were magnet ribbons for both the Utes and cougs. (lack of capitalization is for a purpose here and please notice I put the Utes before the cougs).

2 comments:

Cam said...

I've been thinking the same thing for quite some time now. It's pretty ridiculous sometimes. The best is when you see a car that has all of them plastered across the back end.

kel said...

on both ends of town in Manti they have a giant (like 5 feet tall) yellow ribbon made out of fiberglass or something.

seriously folks. it's time to move to something else... just like Dodge needed to get over their 'Different' and red car ad campaign after 15 years.

p.s. great blog!