Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Life's curve ball by Alan Shore

Well yesterday evening Barry Bonds hit home run number 756 to break Hank Aaron's all-time home run record. I was driving home from work and heard the call over the radio. I was glad to be listening. My thoughts while listening were "that's great, it's good, finally we can all move on." Is it me, or was this whole thing way too over covered? I don't care if the record is or is not tainted. (TAINTED) I don't care if he did or did not take steroids or any other performance enhancing drugs. (He probably took a shark paralyzer for all I care. By the way, that's legal in the all-drug Olympics.)

I think we as a nation should be asking questions to our Congress, our representatives, our senators, and our President about what is going on in Iraq! Or should the questions be asked about Alberto Gonzalez and his alleged firings, or should the questions be asked about illegal detainees in Guantanamo, or should the questions be asked about why court approval is no longer required to eavesdrop, wire tap, or monitor, (However you want to say it, it's spying on your own citizens. Never mind freedom of speech, big brother is listening.). Or should the questions be asked about our environment. Global warming and dependents on oil not to mention foreign oil just to name a few.

Yes, I think it's interesting that as Americans we flip out about home runs when we have more pressing matters at hand. It's ironic that we are arguing if Barry did or did not. Look at us! We are a nation of sideline sitters and arm chair quarterbacks. We care more about Barry and his record than the future for our children and grandchildren. Or is it just maybe we all know deep down inside, and we need the distraction.

Okay that's enough Alan Shore.

No comments: