A couple of weeks ago I received a phone call from the Bishop's Secretary. Saying that the Bishop wanted to meet with Heather and I. That is always fun!? I knew the change was going to be me because Heather is pregnant. Plus the spirit told me I was on my way out in December.
So we went to the bishops office and he said, "Michael, I would like you to serve on my Priesthood Executive Committee." I thought oh no not me. I don't want to know anything about anyone in my ward. "I would like you to be my Ward Mission Leader." It took me a good 10 minutes before I said yes. The Lord must have a sense of humor!! The bishop reassured me a couple of times. We talked about who the Lord qualifies I answered the quote before he got it out. I said I tell myself that all the time. His responded with "Michael, you don't think I do the same." Then he told me this life is a marathon not a sprint. I had a couple of witty remarks for him, but I new I needed to serve. Because I have been blessed so abundantly, and the gospel is really the only way to have true happiness. After the bishop called me phrases from my patriarchal blessing were flowing into my mind.
The only thing I thought when he said ward mission leader was my mind went back to the days when I was a missionary. I was not a good missionary! I was made senior companion on the day I received my travel information to go home. (I believe that I had 3 months left in the mission.) I just thought I have no clue what I am doing and I know I am not a great missionary. My first interview with the bishop consisted of me asking him more questions than he did towards me. I asked him what he expected and what his vision was. He responded with I think we can have one convert baptism in this ward. I said, "I believe that might be a fruit of the labors but I have no intentions of trying to convert anyone and I don't see that at all. Bishop with so many people of the records we need to excite these people who are not excited we need to get them to feel the spirit again and bring them back to church. Why climb the tree for fruit when we have so many good pieces on the ground. I would rather have a family come back that knows what is expected of them and can contribute. It seems to me a lot less effort than finding someone new."
I don't know! I just try and hope all things work out. I love visiting my neighbors and chatting with them. I tell them as a representative of your church we want to do anything possible to help you when help is needed.
I told one of my coworkers who is not L.D.S. of my new calling and she said to me, "Michael that is great you are an excellent ambassador for you church."I thought well I must be doing something right, and then I thought I know how I could make her so much happier with life." It is funny to see what happens when one is set apart.
Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.
1 comment:
You will do a fantastic job.
Post a Comment