Monday, August 29, 2011

My past time as of late

Here is my past time lately. I have been watching this Ken Burns documentary on baseball. It is 18 and half hours long and it is all about the game of baseball. I am a baseball kind of guy so to say I have enjoyed this it is an understatement.

It has been totally interesting and very informative. For example Cameron's Atlanta Braves orginally started in my beloved Boston as the Red Stockings then varies other names the Red Caps, Beaneaters, Doves, Rustlers, Braves, Bees, and then Braves again. After a move to Milwaukee as the Braves for eight years then they ended up in Atlanta in 1966 and have stay their ever since.

It has given me several ideas about people I would like to read more about. In my classic Strasser fashion I formed a list of players I want to read more about Josh Gibson, Bob Feller, Christy Mathewson, Honus Wagner, Lou Gehrig, and Bob Gibson.

Most of all it has been a classic slice of Americana for me. What is more American then baseball? I think of the classic movies to the quotes of major league players like, "Let's play two!"and "It ain't over till it's over." I swear everyone remembers "If you build it He will come." Who can forget the Natural "C'mon Hobbs, knock the cover off the ball!"

Baseball really is the all American game. Before I was such a big fan one of my friends from Spain came to visit. On the list of things that had to be done before the return home was Disneyland and a baseball game. At that time I found that to be odd, but the more I think of it what is more American then baseball game in the summer.

GO SOX!!

3 comments:

Cam said...

Interesting not about the Braves. Do you own the series, or did you borrow it from someone?

Michael said...

I checked it out inning by inning from the Centerville library. It was great because I got to watch it at my own pace. It is on the wish list for a future purchase.

Cam said...

I just reserved the 1st inning and will be picking it up tonight!