Wednesday, July 6, 2011

San Fermin

Every year the 6th of July through the 14th of July a little town in northern Spain has a fiesta called San Fermin. Here is a picture of the saint.



Hemingway made the fiesta famous with a book he wrote entitled: The Sun Also Rises. It is a pretty good book I think I have read 4 or 5 times. I read it when I miss Spain and the care free days of college.




As you can see everyone crowds into the city hall plaza for the beginning of the fiesta. It is amazing at high noon a rocket is sent up and the party begins as soon as it explodes and does not end for 8 straight days.



I am sure all of you have seen images of the bulls running through the streets to the bullring. It is like nothing that you have ever experienced. It is amazing!!

I remember being in the city as a missionary and literal praying that president would forget to take us out of the city. He did but our zone leader reminded him and we were taken out. You can tell by my desires I wasn't ZL material.

I hope to one day return to the fiesta and celebrate it with my wife and sons!

VIVA SAN FERMIN!!! GORA SANFERMINAK!!










2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm not convinced I want to see it live in person, but you have some years to work on me...

Cam said...

If Heather's not interested, I am! I would love to go and experience Spain.