Tuesday, June 14, 2011

We had an elderly gentleman bear his testimony on fast Sunday. He stated that he never really thought of a mission growing up, but none the less he went and served. He said he wasn't the most mature or best missionary, but that a day does not go by without him thinking of his mission.
I feel 100% the same way! What is funny about this statement is that I didn't particularly like my mission. A matter of fact the work sucked, but the people and the landscape and the culture are aw inspiring!!
Many times I close my eyes when it is time to sleep and I go to Spain in my mind. I walked the streets so much! That to this day I can still see/tour the cities I served in. I was lucky to get married later in life so during my single days I went to Spain. I think I have visited the country a minimum of five times. (I have honestly lost track because I went back so many times.) The thing I miss the most about Spain is an interaction with the Spaniards and the landscape.

It is like going back in time. I picture the 1950's and Spain very similar. People get dressed up to leave their houses. It is a very formal country. Kids come home in the middle of the day from school, dad's leave work just to eat a meal with the whole family. I whole country closes down for medio dia. (If you don't believe me ask Heather about her experience.)
Conversation is an art form. I remember sitting at a cafe in Sevilla chatting with my friends for hours on end. The whole time we sat chatting we ate and drank talking about everything under the sun. Spain is a memory I much enjoy.
The views are very profound! Every single one of these pictures of landscape I have seen personally. This may sound pretty odd, but they say if we proceed and become exalted we can make our own worlds. I will give you one guess what I am going to pattern my world after.

I loved the bullfights. I got to the point of seeing so many of them it looked more like art to me than barbarism. That is probably why I love reading Hemingway. We share this small but similar bond with Spain and bulls. I have chatted with torero's (they are not matadors) after the fight and they are great people, very religious. How many professional athletes are religious? How many professional athletes would just sit and chat with you? I guess being so close to death somewhat humbles you and turns you towards God.

Thanks for being nostalgic with me.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Just pretend you are in Spain! It makes everything better! Great post Mikey.

Jenny said...

Man! Those pictures are AMAZING!! Someday, if I ever get to Spain, will you help me create a list of must sees??