Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day Off: HA!!!!


Let me start this post by saying, "Mom's are the most over worked and under paid people around. They are the kindest and most under appreciated bunch I know." My days off lately have been more work than the work I get paid for. The last couple of times I have been off of work my days have been hectic!!

The following are two days off.

Day One: Everything starts out fine,(I probably have built up a little over confidence because everything is going so smoothly.) Fast forward a bit. I'm on the phone with my sister-in-law talking about sick children and Christmas. When all the sudden I hear Samuel scream as if his very life depended on it! I hang up the phone and go to see what has happened. "James, what did you do?"
"Daddy I put Samuel's finger in my mouth and bit it."
"James, why did you do that?"
"I don't know I just did." So I put in James in timeout. Before timeout, James' finger was bitten by yours truly, and he sat screaming in the garage.

I calmed Samuel (or tried to). While picking him up I noticed his pants were stinky. (I believe it is the result of James' bite. He soiled himself.) So I took Samuel upstairs to change him. Meanwhile my mom called me on the phone. James is screaming mercilessly in the garage. I am trying to tell my mom all the things that were happening while changing Samuel's diaper. (Note: men don't multitask very well. They can only do one at a time.)

Now Samuel is changed let's go deal with James. I pick Samuel up and he throws up all over me and himself. (Wouldn't be a day off if I am not ralphed on at least once. Worst of all it is all over my sweater.)
"Mom, sorry I need to go Samuel just threw up." (I think my mom is smiling because she has had theses days before.)
"Okay Michael I will talk to later when things are settled." (as if that will happen.)

So I change Samuel and take off my sweater. Meanwhile I still hear James crying in the garage and think, "holy smokes I better get down and address his situation."
"James, why were you in timeout?"
"Because I didn't obey."
"James, what didn't you obey?"
"I bit Samuel's finger. I wasn't nice to Samuel."
"James, how does your finger feel?"
"It hurt!"
"Now you know how Samuel's finger feels. Will you do this again?"
"No."

That my friends is just a small slice of one day. Here is a small slice of my next day off.

Day Two: I wake up between 7:00 and 7:30 a.m. take a shower, get dressed, make the bed, and prepare breakfast for Samuel and James. (I am feeling pretty cocky because everything is running so smoothly. I making great time and we are actually going to do something I would like or need to do today. LITTLE DO I KNOW!)

I notice drops of water under the freezer. I think no big deal I can clean those up, but better check to make sure everything looks okay. I open the freezer and everything is thawed. I grab the garbage can throw everything away I'm talking chicken breasts, pork chops, brats, Italian sausages, frozen dinners, and even a nice New York steak.(I was saving that for a special occasion.) I'm sad and frustrated! Let's check the fridge. Same thing in different stages of thaw. I start chucking a ton of food and the rest goes in bags out on the front porch. (Great Day Off Huh)

I hear crying Samuel is awake shortly after James comes down the stairs. I'm feeding Samuel and James both breakfast. During breakfast comes a knock on my door. It's Grandpa Richard. Inside I start to shutter. My thoughts: Oh Crap! (That is the edited version for you, my readers.)I can only imagine what Grandpa is thinking. (My daughter chose this man. Love is a strange thing.)I have these kids half dressed, I'm half dressed (I have on my Levi's and sock and my G's on up top.), and all are food is outside on the front porch.

"How's it going?"
"Pretty good, as you can see our refrigerator has gone out."
"Do you want me to get some ice and coolers before I take a look at James bed?"(James bed is a story for another time. Needless to say I broke it. Two weeks before New Years. I guess my resolution like every year is to lose some weigh.)
"Ya, that would be great. I'm trying to get these kids ready for the day, then I was going to do the same thing."

Richard leaves to get the coolers and ice. I switch gears! James, Samuel, we are going to eat are breakfast and be changed into our clothes before Grandpa gets back!
I accomplished what we set out to do. We were all ready when Grandpa came back.

After Grandpa has come and save the day. I am trying to get James and Samuel down for a nap. Door bell rings it's the refrigerator repair man. I chat with him a bit and then let him do his thing. James and Samuel are way too interested in this man and moving the refrigerator around to be fixed. Naps has left each boy's mind, and I am not up for the fight. I just think after he leaves we will take naps. The repair man's news is not good, "It would be best if you purchased a new refrigerator" is his conclusion. "If I fix it it will cost a minimum of $660.00 and a new fridge is $800.00 to whatever you want to spend." I come to the conclusion that today we are going to purchase a new refrigerator.

Heather comes home from work and Faye comes over to watch our kids so we can make a major purchase. (Thank you Faye for thoughtfulness and kindness.)

Needless to say just a routine day off for me has come to and end. Or has it?

1 comment:

Kim Ward said...

Micheal I love this post. Life happens. Thanks for the good laugh and sorry about having to buy a new fridge. Never fun to fork over the hard earned cash for stuff like that.