Friday, August 1, 2008

Red Sox Trade Manny!!!



My Red Sox traded outfielder Manny Ramirez to the Los Angeles Dodgers yesterday. I have had numerous texts and calls asking me what I think. So here it is: I think it is AWESOME!!!

Why? you may say. Well Manny being Manny is just the reason! Who wants a guy on his team that doesn't want to play 100% of the time. He doesn't run out balls. He doesn't run all out to first. His defense is poor at best. Meanwhile he is getting paid close to 22 million dollars. (I'll do his job for a sixth of what the Sox are paying him).

I don't know how much of a distraction he can be: not showing up to spring training on time, (except this year "contract year"), asking to be traded numerous times, (including the first time he ever met the owner John Henry), dealing with/taking care of a sick Grandma, (she didn't exist), not wanting to play in the All-Star game, (fans voted him in, if that's not a kick in the teeth I don't know what is) and my personal favorite, leaving the baseball game to go to the bathroom, (yes, I acknowledge it would be cool to say you took a leak under the Green Monster, but not during a game).

Here is one of Manny's famous conversations with his manager Terry Farncona:(Terry, by the way has lost 15 lbs. in the past 2 weeks. Good chance it is because they are in a tight pennant race and he is dealing with guess who) "Coach, I can't play today. My knee hurts!"

"Well ok, let's get an x-ray and see what the problem is. We want to take care of you. You bat clean up, and between you and Ortiz there is no better 1-2 combo in baseball today. Plus, we're in a tight pennant race."

X-ray results come back. "Sorry, Manny X-ray looks good. Your knee is fine."

"Well okay, I guess I will play today. I just wanted the day off."

I acknowledge Manny never has a day off. But when you are in the middle of a pennant race trying to repeat as a World Series Champion don't you think you would want to play?

Manny could possibly be one of the best right-hand hitters of all time, but what does it matter if he does not want to play for you? When is enough, ENOUGH?

This is why I love the Red Sox! If you don't perform you're in jeopardy of moving. Look at Pedro Martinez. If you think you are worth more than you really are, see ya. Look at Johnny Damon. If your not 100% focused and passionate about it don't let the door hit you on the way out. Look at Derek Lowe.

Thanks for reading my 2 cents.

GO SOX!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Awesome! I love your take on it. Cam and I were pretty excited about the trade actually.