

Yesterday Heather went back to work. (Please help us all!! Especially me. How am I going to survive?) So that means I have James and Samuel for a half a day on Tuesdays and a full day on Wednesdays.
I have a new love and respect for my mom and my wife. Yesterday right after the garage door closed Samuel started crying maybe 5:50 a.m. after I got that settled James started crying 6:00 a.m. (They could sense that "the mama bear" had left the den.) After that everything went relatively smoothly. (either that or I have forced it out of my memory.) Today however has been quite different.
Here is my day so far. Up before 6:40 a.m. which is fine considering I wake up at 5:15 a.m. every morning for work. I try to have James and Samuel sleep longer in my bed which means no sleep for me.
Breakfast plead/threaten James to eat one piece of toast (Seriously how this kid lives is besides me! He does not eat!) Samuel is supposed to be be feed at 8:30 well today we feed at 9:00 and considering that I am quite proud of myself because James and I had beds made, showered, dressed, combed hair, teeth brushed, and ready for the day. Hence the 30 minutes delay.
Time to give Samuel a bath. In the process of changing I'm peed on. (Not the first time or the last I guess!)And all I can say is thank goodness he did not drowned. (Newborns are very slippery. Toddlers helping patience is tested.) James is overly helpful during the bath. So finally I told James please go read a story in his room or go down stairs and watch TV (I swore I would never be one of those parents and look at me on day 1.) James, Daddy can take care of this! James choose a story. After his exit things went relatively well. James came out of his room and said, "Daddy, can I come out of my room?" I felt so terribly bad. I cannot parent. Nothing worse than punishing the innocent! I thought how on earth does Heather do this? It is not even 10:00 a.m. How are we going to run errands?
Fast forward to errands. While I was driving I thought of Natalie my sister-in-law she has three under three. (My new hero!!) I even called to tell her that she is now my new hero. I get to the store make the purchase and think that was not so bad. For all the effort it was way to short. I mean getting them into the car and buckling them in, trying to find a coupon I was searching like a madman. And that's it! Oh no this is not going in vain we are buying more!! We hit the Great Harvest bought bread, Distribution Center bought things for a kid I home teach he is turning twelve, and I finished it all off at McDonald's. James is having a HAPPY meal for lunch whether he likes it or not! This getting ready is not going in vain!!
Lunch time is finished and now nap time. I swear to get James to nap is like asking for George Costanza to be positive and uplifting. It is not going to happen. My afternoon has consisted of short statements of reason/pleadings/hope. Here are some examples: James, do you want to go to Grandma Debbie's? If so you better take a nap. James, how are you going to get big and strong if you don't take a nap? James, you promised that you were going to take a nap. James, be an example for your little brother Samuel please take a nap. James, if you don't take a nap you are going to be put in timeout. Finally a very stern warning followed by a swat on the bum and he is asleep.
Problem I have to meet Heather at my parents at 4:30 p.m. and both boys are asleep. What do I do? It is 4:00 p.m. now as I write this.
Parenthood is it not great? Does it not make us better? I guess it is one of the many ways to refine ourselves. Onward ward and upward I'm waking up the boys.
4 comments:
I LOVE it Michael! You say it how it is! Good luck :)
LOL. And remember to keep your phone right side up. I Love YOU!
Michael, this post makes me laugh! I think it's awesome that you get to spend so much time with the boys. I think it will probably get a little easier each week, and before you know it, you'll be settled into a routine...no sweat! Good luck, and call if you ever need help! We are only 10 minutes away!
Have you ever seen Mr. Mom??? I agree with getting ready you might as well make a morning of it or just stay home. Wade is home on Fridays and I usually have a bunch of stuff I want to do alone so he is in charge and some days...I laugh at him hard. You will appreciate your wife more and your boys will be closer to you so it is a WIN WIN! Good Luck. You are a great Dad.
Post a Comment