Saturday, December 13, 2008

A true hero


My thoughts lately have been with the passing of Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin. Reason be I felt that he had incredible insight and has touch my life in profound ways. I remember going to priesthood meeting in 2007 right before James was born and hearing the most incredible talk (at least for me).

It was entitled Life's Lessons Learned . I linked it for you. He talked about football at the U and being in the championship game and remembering the voice of his mother when temptation arose. When he spoke those profound words, my mind went to the U and a final for a Spanish Grammar and Composition class: 3060. I remember it well. It was the fourth time I had taken it. I struggle the entire semester in this class. I just wanted to pass and the professor knew I had studied and tried but because of my dyslexia it was difficult. She told me to not worry and just finish at my own pace. She also gave me a not so subtle hint to cheat when she left. I have reflected on that many times in my life. Needless to say I received a C plus! So I guest you know if I cheated or not but I passed.

I remember meeting Elder Wirthlin at the Salt Lake Clinic weeks after he had given that talk. Heather had just finished her appointment with the OB/GYN. I was wearing a University of Utah t-shirt. Elder Wirthlin asked, if I supported "the Red Skins". I smiled and said "through and through." Heather said she was Cougar and he smiled. We both walked away. I thought, "this man probably never gets left alone. Being a apostle of the church you probably just don't get a lot of free time." (At least when they come to Costco those poor men are hounded) So trying to respect his free time we hurried away. As we walked I reflected on the talk I just had heard and I felt I needed to thank him. So I said, "Elder Wirthlin, sorry to bother you, but the talk you gave in priesthood meeting really touched me."

He smiled and said "thank you."

I also remember working conference weekend when my grandmother died. My dad called and told me. I was horrified, shocked, hurt, no words could really describe how I felt. I remember I was in a tense situation getting the money together to open the warehouse so I was not able to leave right away. No one was there to take over or put together the deposit so I had to continue working for awhile. When I finally left I turned on conference on the radio and I heard this talk by Elder Wirthlin. After listening I cried and thanked God for his tender mercies that he had given me, a lone fallen person. The wretch I am. Here's the link. The talk is entitled Sunday Will Come.

I thank God for his mercy and prophets and apostles who magnify their callings.

Thank you Elder Wirthlin. I will miss you.

4 comments:

terrah said...

Those are neat stories, Michael. Thanks for sharing them.

Cam said...

I really enjoyed reading some of your memories.

Heather said...

Thank you. Those are great talks, and you are a great person.

Turpin Times said...

What a great man he was. Those are neat stories.