Friday, October 1, 2010

Moron of the Month


The Moron for the month of September is the U.S. Mint.

As you all know I collect coins. Every year the mint puts out annual coin set for the year. Being that Samuel was born this year I thought I would purchase two for him. (In 2004 I purchased two for James.)

I purchased two because one is silver (in the red boxes) and the other is clad (in the blue boxes). Clad is the same composition of your normal everyday coins. (example: quarters, dimes, and halves)

To give you some background on the sets, these sets contain 14 different coins and 7 are struck in a composition of 90% silver and clad respectively. Total face value of the set is $6.91.



Each 2010 Silver/Clad Proof Set includes the following coins:

(1) 2010-S Proof Lincoln Cent - the first year of the new Union Shield design.

(1) 2010-S Proof Jefferson Nickel

(1) 2010-S Proof Roosevelt Dime - struck in 90% silver.

(5) 2010-S America the Beautiful Quarters - struck in 90% silver and featuring Hot Springs National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park, Grand Canyon National Park, and Mount Hood National Forest.

(1) 2010-S Proof Kennedy Half Dollar - struck in 90% silver.

(1) 2010-S Native American Dollar - featuring the Hiawatha Belt design.

(4) 2010-S Proof Presidential Dollars - featuring Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, and Abraham Lincoln



Now here comes the reason why the mint received the Moron Award. The clad proof set costs $31.95 and the silver proof set costs $56.95. (You are probably thinking I'm the moron for buying these. This is partly true but it takes two to be really stupid!)I searched high and low and bought these sets from a dealer who was selling them less than the mint. (HA- U.S. Mint!!)This year the mint increased its prices on both sets partly due to the rise in the price of silver, but mainly I believe to pad its pockets.

When these sets arrived at my house they look horrible!! (I tell you the government really takes pride in there work. Nothing more American than dirty money!!) Now all these sets are sealed. They have not been touched by human hands, but the finish on the coins is horrible! Look at President Millard Fillmore the upper left corner it is starting to spot and discolor. I flipped the coins over and look at poor Millard's back. Lady Liberty looks like brass.




Because of the lack of care for the product it produces, the U.S. Mint is the Moron for the Month of September!!

No comments: